SMS-based authentication to enable stronger login
Plivo simplifies business communications by offering a simple, quick, and scalable way to modernize customer communications. Businesses of all sizes — from growing startups to public companies — rely on Plivo to deliver better customer experiences. Plivo's enterprise-grade communications platform includes a premium carrier network with connectivity in more than 190 countries, an API platform for messaging and voice calls, and solutions for sales and support teams. The Plivo team brings deep experience in communications and modern software to address the needs of today's businesses — quality, scale, innovation, and agility.
Using Plivo's Messaging platform and Auth0 you can send SMS messages to send multi-factor verification codes via text messages. This integration will add SMS-based MFA to the login flow for the tenant in which you're working.
We’re not satisfied until you’re successful
Our consultative approach to engagement means we work with you every step of the way.
We build reliability into our platform
Behind the scenes, Plivo makes sure your communications get where they need to go every time.
Our complex applications are simple by design
We’re focused on keeping things simple for our users while allowing you to build complex applications.
Plivo provides an SMS messaging service that Auth0 can use to deliver multi-factor verification via SMS messages. The following steps will enable you to add SMS-based MFA via the Plivo SMS API to the login flow for the tenant in which you're working.
Note: The following steps will add text-message-based MFA to the login flow for the tenant in which you're working. We highly recommend testing this setup on a staging or development server before making the changes to your production login flow.
Set up Plivo
Capture the authorization ID and authorization token from the Account and Payments section in the Plivo console.
Add the Action
- Select Add Integration (at the top of this page).
- Read the necessary access requirements and click Continue.
- Configure the integration as directed
- Click Create to add the integration to your Library.
- Click the Add to flow link on the pop-up that appears.
- Drag the Action into the desired location in the flow.
- Click Apply Changes.
Activate custom SMS factor
To use the SMS factor, your tenant needs to have MFA enabled globally or required for specific contexts using Actions. To learn how to enable the MFA feature, see:
The last steps are to configure the SMS Factor to use the custom code and test the MFA flow. Note: Once you complete the steps below, Auth0 will begin using this factor for MFA during login. Before activating this integration in production, please make sure you have configured all components correctly and verified on a test tenant.
- Go to Dashboard > Security > Multi-factor Auth and click the Phone Message factor box.
- In the modal that appears, select Custom for the delivery provider, then make any adjustments you'd like to the templates. Click Save when complete, and close the modal.
- Enable the SMS factor using the toggle switch to begin using this factor.
Test MFA flow
Trigger an MFA flow and verify that everything works as intended.
If you do not receive the text message, look in your tenant logs for a failed Phone Message log entry. To learn which event types to search, see the Log Event Type Code list, or you can use the Filter control to find MFA errors.
Make sure that:
- The Action is in the Send Phone Message flow.
- The secrets are the same ones you created in the steps above.
- Your Esendex account is active (not suspended).
- Your phone number is formatted using the E.164 format.